Prochaine visite le dimanche 10 septembre 2017 à 14 heures.
Fran¸ais Nederlands Deutsch English

The Fort of Barchon is a large triangular fort of the Brialmont-type. It is located 8 km northeast of Liège on the right bank of the Meuse between Liège and Visé. Built in 1888, it has had an active history and three main periods.

In its first period it formed part of the ring of twelve forts protecting Liège and in the First World War it resisted the forces of the Kaiser from the 5th to the 8th of August 1914, falling after very strong attacks.

In the second period, during the occupation of 1914 to 1918, the Prussians recognised its strategic importance and made a number of modifications and improvements. These modifications mainly related to the entrance of the fort, the infantry exit to the central massif, the protection of the windows of the gorge buildings in scarp and in counterscarp and improvements to the ventilation.

The third period began in 1928. The decision was made to rearm and reinforce the fort and to bring it back into active service again. The modifications related to the general reinforcement of the buildings, the addition of reinforced concrete, the building of deep galleries, the building of a ventilation tower and the replacement of the generator and the weapons. It sustained the flood of German troops on May 10, 1940 and resisted valiantly until May 18, 1940.